Property worth millions of naira damaged by fire in Abuja


fireProperty worth millions of naira were damaged on Sunday in a fire incident at Galadimawa Village, Abuja.

A block of five shops, housing provision stores, salon, patent medicine store, interior decoration facilities, mattresses and rugs mini depots, was razed .

The fire, which started at around 1a.m., lasted for an hour and was later put off by fire fighters from the Federal Fire Service.

The fire is suspected to have been caused by electrical faults from one of the shops.

An eye witness, Mr Emeka Obi, said that the owner of the mini depot got supplies twice a year.

According to him, the proprietor of the depot recently got supplies for the second half of the year and everything had been destroyed by the fire.

Obi said: “Only God can intervene in my friend’s business.”

Residents of the village, who commended the Federal Fire Service for its prompt response, called for well known emergency numbers for the public to reach the department.

Mr Paul Ikyado, a resident of the village, said the level of destruction caused by the fire would have been averted to a reasonable level if the firemen were reached on time.

“When the fire started, we were helpless, we had no emergency number or contact of the fire service.

“The rugs and mattresses caused more fire and the electrical fault from the ceiling made the fire spread faster.

“The items lost in this fire would have been less if we got the fire men on time,” he said.

Ikyado called on the government to enhance the services of the fire servicet by providing short, prompt and popular emergency numbers for citizens’ safety.

Some of the shop owners were not residents of the village and could not be contacted immediately.

Confirming the report, Mrs Eugenia Osuagwu, Chief Fire Assistant, Federal Fire Services Command Headquarters, said that no life was lost.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.