Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Presidency Slams Atiku Over Comments on Borno Airstrikes

Robert Imoh by Robert Imoh
April 15, 2026
in News
0

The Presidency has faulted former Vice President Atiku Abubakar over his remarks on the recent airstrikes at Jilli Market in Borno State, accusing him of politicising a national security issue.

Sunday Dare, Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Media and Communications, made the statement via his official X account, questioning Atiku’s stance on the military operation.

Dare argued that the former vice president’s comments misrepresented the nature of the strike and undermined the efforts of the Nigerian Armed Forces

According to him, the Nigerian Air Force carried out intelligence-based operations targeting insurgent strongholds in the Jilli axis.

He explained that although the area is still referred to as a market, it has reportedly ceased to function as a civilian trading centre for several years.

Instead, Dare claimed the location had evolved into a logistics hub used by insurgent groups such as Boko Haram and ISWAP.

He said portraying the operation as an attack on civilians without acknowledging this context was misleading and potentially harmful.

Dare further stated that such criticism could weaken public trust and affect the morale of security personnel engaged in counter-terrorism operations.

He accused Atiku of inconsistency, noting that while the government is often criticised for insecurity, decisive military actions are also condemned when taken.

The presidential aide described such reactions as political opportunism rather than constructive opposition.

Meanwhile, Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum also clarified that the Jilli Market had been shut down by the state government about five years ago due to security concerns.

In a statement issued by his media aide, Dauda Iliya, Zulum described the location as a known operational base for insurgents and their supply networks.

He added that the state government works closely with security agencies before reopening markets or resettling communities in conflict-affected areas.

Zulum reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to protecting residents and restoring stability in the region.

He urged citizens to remain vigilant and support security agencies with credible information.

Also reacting, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, defended the military’s strategy, stating that individuals aiding insurgents would be treated as part of the threat.

He emphasised that the military would continue to target networks supporting terrorist activities in its ongoing operations.

The incident has sparked national debate, highlighting the sensitive balance between security operations and public perception in Nigeria’s fight against insurgency.

Tags: Atiku Abubakar newsBabagana ZulumBoko Haram newsBorno airstrikeISWAP NigeriaJilli market attackNigeria military operationsNigeria security newsSunday Dare statementTinubu government
Previous Post

IMF/World Bank Spring Meetings: Wale Edun wants developing countries to adopt measures to mitigate global shock

Next Post

Russian blogger to Putin: ‘People are afraid of you’

Next Post
Putin

Russian blogger to Putin: ‘People are afraid of you’

Trump

Vance Says Iran Ceasefire Holding as Trump Pushes ‘Grand Bargain’

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Zenith Bank to host 10th International Trade Seminar, charts path to unlocking greater value in Nigeria’s non-oil export sector

August 18, 2026

LG polls: APC presents flag to Umahi’s son

August 18, 2026

Varsity to ASUU: You lied! 200 lecturers never resigned

August 18, 2026

Qatar Calls for Strait of Hormuz Reopening, Revival of U.S.-Iran MoU Talks

August 18, 2026

Wike Says Tinubu Faces Easier 2027 Election Due to Weak Opposition

August 18, 2026

CBN Promotes Digital Payments to Boost Financial Inclusion and Nigeria’s Economic Growth

August 18, 2026

Davido Says He Feared Osun Election Rigging but Celebrates Adeleke’s Victory

August 18, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.