Saturday, May 23, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Ado Poly shut, SUG disbanded over students’ protest

Femi Adewale by Femi Adewale
November 3, 2019
in Breaking News, Education, News
0
Ado Poly shut, SUG disbanded over students’ protest

Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti

The Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State has been shut on the orders of the authorities of the institution.
The Students’ Union Government (SUG) has also been banned by the management, with immediate effect.
The actions followed the violent protest staged on Friday by the students over alleged meddling of management in the affairs of the SUG, including alleged attempts to install its stooges as leaders of the students’ body during its election held on Thursday.
During the protest, the students disrupted normal academic activities by blocking all the gates leading to the institution for hours, thereby hindering human and vehicular movement.
Some valuable facilities in the institution’s School of Engineering were also destroyed.
The institution’s Director of Protocol, Information and Public Relations, Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, in a statement in Ado-Ekiti on Sunday, denied the students’ claims that authorities were interfering with the union’s affairs.
He also described as needless and unwarranted the violent protest by the students, saying their action was based on mere rumour from unreliable sources, adding that management had nothing to gain from imposing candidates for students’ union election.
According to him, the decision to shut the polytechnic was arrived at during an emergency joint meeting of the Academic Board and Management Committee held on Saturday.
“The attention of management of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, has been drawn to insinuations suggesting that the students’ protest of Friday, November 1, 2019 was caused by an alleged imposition of candidates in the students’ union elections, which held the previous day.
“For the avoidance of any doubt, it has never been in the tradition of the institution’s management to impose candidates under any guise in the electoral process of all unions at the polytechnic.
“Also for over two decades now, students’ union electoral processes are run and conducted by the students themselves through their accredited representatives called APECO.
“The management only engages in monitoring the process by ensuring that the rules set for they set for themselves are strictly adhered to, under a well- secured atmosphere,” he said.
Adejolu said management was, therefore, surprised at the last unprovoked protest and unverified allegation of imposition of candidate.
“Management has consequently affirmed that all students resident on campus should promptly vacate their accommodation on a week compulsory break,” he said.
The institution’s spokesman said that students would resume November 10, adding that second semester examination would commence on November 12.
He also announced that embargo had been placed on students’ union activities with immediate effect.
Adejolu said that an 11-man committee had already been set up to look at the immediate and remote causes of the protest.

Tags: Ado Poly shut SUG disbanded over students’ protest
Previous Post

Leicester City back in third after 2-0 win at Crystal Palace

Next Post

Customs: Border closure may continue beyond Jan 2020 ‘until objectives achieved’

Next Post
Foreign rice: One killed as youths attack Customs officers in Kaduna

Customs: Border closure may continue beyond Jan 2020 'until objectives achieved'

Nigerian Uduak-Joe Ntuk appointed as Oil and Gas Supervisor in U.S.

Nigerian Uduak-Joe Ntuk appointed as Oil and Gas Supervisor in U.S.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Lagos Justice Reforms Save State Over ₦1.25bn, Secure Release of 397 Inmates — Pedro

May 23, 2026

Hayatu-Deen challenges Atiku, Amaechi on ADC ethical commitment

May 23, 2026

How I emerged as Kwara APC guber candidate – Danladi-Yakubu

May 23, 2026

Abiodun appoints Saka as Ogun Head of Service

May 23, 2026
Makinde

Oyo Govt suspends school excursions over security fears

May 23, 2026

Eid-el-Kabir: Ram prices hit N700,000

May 23, 2026
Haske addressing the media  on Friday evening

Haske raises concerns over Adamawa APC primaries, urges calm

May 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.