Vice-President Namadi Sambo on Thursday said the ongoing battle against Boko Haram militants by the Nigerian Army had started yielding fruitful results as normalcy had been restored in the troubled areas.
Sambo made the statement when he received the UN Under-Secretary for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Cordinator, Mrs Valerie Amos, at the State House, Abuja.
He said the nation’s security agencies had successfully dislodged and uprooted the camps of the militants in the states where state of emergency was imposed by the Federal Government on May 14.
“It is a common knowledge that the action that the Federal Government has taken has really been successful.
“I can confidently say that we have succeeded in completely uprooting the terrorists from their various locations in the North-East to the extent that the fear instilled on the citizenry by the terrorists is no longer there, as the people now assist the security agencies in exposing the militants in their midst,” he said.
According to him, the Federal Government has approved additional supply of food and relief materials to victims of Boko Haram insurgency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.
He said the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) was being strengthened to enable it to meet the challenges of disaster management in the country.
Sambo, who commended the security agencies for abiding by the rules of engagement in their fight against terror, charged them to always avoid civilian casualties in their efforts to restore law and order in the affected areas.
In her remark, Amos expressed the readiness of the UN to partner with Nigeria in the provision of emergency relief to victims of disasters.
She commended the way and manner the 2012 flood disaster was handled by the Federal Government, saying “the UN has a lot to learn from your experience in the incident.”