Afolabi and Huck fought three times in all, with Huck going 2-0-1 in three excellent fights. Last year’s rematch, one of the best fights of 2012, ended in a draw. The third bout was another really good fight, but Afolabi, who had been the interim titlist, just couldn’t get over the hump and lost on scores of 117-111, 115-113, 114-114 in a majority decision.
Afolabi, is putting the Huck trilogy behind him.
“I congratulate Marco, he fought a very good fight,” Afolabi said. “This is the third time we’ve fought, so I’m ready to move on to other challenges. I’ll be back in the gym shortly, fully focused on fighting my way back into world title contention.”
Although Afolabi couldn’t come up with a win, he made a lot of fans because of the spirited efforts he gave against Huck. He spent some time last week making the rounds in England with television appearances.
While Afolabi (19-3-4, 9 KOs), 33, takes a break, K2 Promotions managing director Tom Loeffler will work on plans for his next bout.
“Ola and Marco have very different styles, but are very similar in talent so that every time they fight it is always an exciting and close battle,” Loeffler said. “Ola and I have spoken and we’re going to work hard towards getting him back for another title shot in the near future. He was in excellent shape for this bout and we believe he will still accomplish his goal of being a world champion.”
Germany’s Huck (36-2-1, 25 KOs), meantime, is moving on to his 12th title defence, a September 14 rematch with former title holder Firat Arslan (33-6-2, 21 KOs).