Thursday, May 21, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Sudan conflict ‘brutal,’ UK foreign minister says ahead of meeting

Robert Imoh by Robert Imoh
April 15, 2025
in News
0

 UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy has described the war in Sudan as “brutal,” ahead of a London meeting on Tuesday to mark the conflict’s two-year anniversary.

Lammy who gave the description just as the UK government announced a £120 million ($158.1 million) food and aid package for Sudan, said Sudan’s stability is “vital for (the UK’s) national security,”

The UK will co-host the gathering alongside the 55-member African Union bloc, the European Union, France, and Germany, attended by representatives from other states including South Sudan, Saudi Arabia and the U.S.

Fighting began in April 2023 with armed clashes between the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary organisation and the Sudanese Armed Forces.

According to United Nations (UN) agencies, more than 12.7 million people have been forcibly displaced in the war, with 1.1 million moving into South Sudan and 1.5 million into Egypt.

“Instability must not spread,” Lammy said.

“It drives migration from Sudan and the wider region, and a safe and stable Sudan is vital for our national security.

“The UK will not let Sudan be forgotten.”

The foreign secretary also said: “Two years is far too long.

“The brutal war in Sudan has devastated the lives of millions and yet much of the world continues to look away.

“We need to act now to stop the crisis from becoming an all-out catastrophe, ensuring aid gets to those who need it the most.

“As I saw earlier this year on a visit to Chad’s border with Sudan, the warring parties have shown an appalling disregard for the civilian population of Sudan.

“This conference will bring together the international community to agree a pathway to end the suffering.”

The new 120 million pounds sterling funding is for the 2025-26 financial year and aims to reach more than 600,000 people, with the money going towards supplying people including vulnerable children with pulses, oils, salts and cereals.

It will also help provide emergency support to survivors of sexual violence.

This follows a separate 113 million pounds sterling aid package announced last November, before the government decision to cut UK development spending from 0.5 per cent of gross national income (GNI) to 0.3 per cent by 2027.

Previous Post

Attempted murder: Court revokes bail of co-defendants in trial of traditional ruler

Next Post

2 killed in Niger mining pit collapse

Next Post

2 killed in Niger mining pit collapse

UCL: Arsenal take rich history, advantage to Bernabeu, as Real attempt to overturn three-goal deficit

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Tinubu

Tinubu: No plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia Law

May 21, 2026
Haske

Adamawa 2027: Haske outpaces rivals with commanding early lead in APC Primary

May 21, 2026

Mr Eazi, Otedola’s daughter Temi expecting first child

May 21, 2026
Court

Man sues ex-wife over refusal to leave after divorce

May 21, 2026
INEC

Court voids INEC timetable for conduct of 2027 polls

May 21, 2026

Obasa warns dissidents as Agege affirms Hamzat as APC governorship candidate

May 21, 2026
11 soldiers killed in Benue

Attahiru: Remembering a patriot five years on – Niran Adedokun

May 21, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.