Sunday, February 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Group condemns calls for removal of service chiefs, backs military operations

Robert Imoh by Robert Imoh
September 25, 2025
in News
0
Group condemns calls for removal of service chiefs, backs military operations
1.6k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

An advocacy group, Northern Nigeria Bridge Builders, has condemned calls for the removal of Nigeria’s service chiefs, describing such demands as informed and politically motivated.

The group made its position known at a press briefing held on Thursday at the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) Hall in Kaduna.

 

It was responding to a recent statement credited to Mr Dominic Alancha, the Convener of the Northern Ethnic National Forum, who called for the sack of service chiefs over alleged professional incompetence.

 

Speaking on behalf of the group, the Convener, Mr Goodheart Sheyin, said Alancha lacked the grassroots connection and credibility to speak on behalf of Northern communities affected by insecurity.

 

He described the activist as “a featherweight politician” and dismissed his views as unrepresentative.

The group referred to a statement by the Zamfara Governor, Alhaji Dauda Lawal, who had expressed confidence in ending banditry within two months, if granted operational control of the security agencies.

 

According to the group, such comments reflect growing confidence in the military’s support for state-level anti crime efforts.

 

The bridge builders also cited recent directives by the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, who instructed military personnel to take decisive actions against criminal elements without waiting for any formal orders.

 

The group said such measures demonstrated the military’s renewed commitment to internal security.

 

A prominent Islamic cleric, Mallam Muhammad Sharif-Zaria, was also referenced as having commended the defence chief’s directives in a viral video, describing them as courageous and appealing.

 

The cleric called on Nigerians to support the security agencies and warned that saboteurs might seek to frustrate ongoing efforts.

 

The group also extolled the remarks of Sen. Mohammed Ali-Ndume, former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, who described calls for the removal of the service chiefs as unpatriotic and unjustified.

 

Ali-Ndume said the military leadership had the requisite training and experience and required only adequate resources and motivation.

 

Similarly, popular Northern musician, Zakky Azzay, was quoted as praising the chief of defence staff, describing him as humble and intelligent.

 

He also commended the recent publication of the CDS’s book titled ‘Taking a Stand Against Insurgency, Terrorism and Banditry in Nigeria’.

 

A civil society group, Campaign Against Injustice (CAI), was also cited as opposing Alancha’s position.

 

The group warned that such calls could demoralise troops and undermine the tremendous gains made in the ongoing security operations.

 

CAI urged President Bola Tinubu to maintain his current support for the military hierarchy.

 

According to the bridge builders, recent reports from The Nation Newspaper on September 8 highlighted progress made by the Nigerian Armed Forces in neutralising criminal elements across the six geopolitical zones, including efforts against oil thieves, insurgents, and kidnappers.

 

The group acknowledged that while security challenges remained in parts of the North, significant improvements had been recorded in several communities previously overrun by terrorists.

 

It said the current service chiefs had demonstrated capacity and cohesion in the fight against insecurity.

 

The group commended Tinubu for his “due diligence” in appointing competent service chiefs and called for increased support and motivation for troops on the frontlines.

 

It also recognised the efforts of Northern Governors and urged the youths to contribute meaningfully to national peace and development.

Share25Tweet16Send
Previous Post

Police roll out security plans ahead Ladoja’s installation as 44th Olubadan of Ibadan

Next Post

Post-UTME, burden to parents, students, scrap it – S/East Stakeholders to FG

Related Posts

Ademola Lookman on target in Atlético debut; records assist, makes history in style
Breaking News

LaLiga: Lookman scores as Atlético return to winning ways with Espanyol victory

February 22, 2026
Manchester City defeat Inter Milan to complete season treble
Breaking News

EPL: O’Reilly shines as Man City pip Newcastle to put extra pressure on Arsenal

February 22, 2026
Group hails Ekeh’s N10bn Computer Science scholarship initiative as first ever futuristic scholarship in Nigeria
News

Tinubu salutes Leo Stan Ekeh at 70, says he’s a ‘pioneering innovator’

February 22, 2026
Next Post
Post-UTME, burden to parents, students, scrap it – S/East Stakeholders to FG

Post-UTME, burden to parents, students, scrap it – S/East Stakeholders to FG

Alt="Court"

Alleged FCCPC Act breach: Court adjourns for arraignment of MTN CEO, others

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

  • Trump considers regime change, limited strike on Iran to press nuclear deal

    67 shares
    Share 27 Tweet 17
  • ADC: Presidency plots to arrest Amaechi

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Kalu, Chinese billionaire visit Dangote Refinery

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Police chief dies in auto crash

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Dangote appoints daughters to key Executive Roles in major succession move

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Mystery as Nollywood Lighting Director, friend die during film shoot in Lekki

    76 shares
    Share 30 Tweet 19

Latest Stories

Ademola Lookman on target in Atlético debut; records assist, makes history in style

LaLiga: Lookman scores as Atlético return to winning ways with Espanyol victory

February 22, 2026
Manchester City defeat Inter Milan to complete season treble

EPL: O’Reilly shines as Man City pip Newcastle to put extra pressure on Arsenal

February 22, 2026
Group hails Ekeh’s N10bn Computer Science scholarship initiative as first ever futuristic scholarship in Nigeria

Tinubu salutes Leo Stan Ekeh at 70, says he’s a ‘pioneering innovator’

February 22, 2026
Unusual story of Gombe varsity student who lives on liquid for 21 years

Unusual story of Gombe varsity student who lives on liquid for 21 years

February 22, 2026
PDP dissolves Ebonyi Exco, South-East Zonal Caretaker Committee

APC’s Maikalangu wins AMAC chairmanship election, PDP wins two councillorship seats

February 22, 2026
APC urges Nigerians to shun planned protest

INEC declares APC’s Ishaku winner of Bwari chairmanship election

February 22, 2026
APC dismisses implosion claims

APC’s Henrietta Bulabari wins Khana ll State Consistency bye-election

February 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.