Sunday, February 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Alleged false report: Judge lambasts EFCC, threatens to withdraw from case against Ali Bello

Wahab Abdulah by Wahab Abdulah
April 14, 2025
in Breaking News
0
Alt="Court"

Court

1.7k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, threatened to send back EFCC’s case file in the charge against Ali Bello, the Chief of Staff (CoS) to Kogi State Government to the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho, for reassignment.

Justice Omotosho made this known following a complaint by Bello’s counsel, Abubakar Aliyu, SAN, accusing the EFCC of publishing untrue accounts of what transpired in court on the last adjourned date on its website against his client.

The anti-graft agency filed the charges in 2022, accusing Bello and Dauda Sulaiman of fraud involving alleged diversion of funds from the Kogi State Government coffers.

While Bello is the 1st defendant, Sulaiman is the 2nd defendant in the 10-count charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/550/2022.
Aliyu had told the court that he had a complaint to make on his client’s behalf.

He said: “the prosecutor is subjecting my client (Bello) to mob justice by making publications that were allegedly untrue”.

The lawyer alleged that the publication, which was on EFCC’s website, was distributed to other social media.

“They (EFCC) said the 1st defendant made a payment of the house at Ikogosi Close in Maitama District and after he discovered that the house was under investigation by EFCC, he now returned the documents back,” Aliyu said.

He said his client told him that he did not buy the property contrary to the allegation.

The lawyer, who gave a copy of the printout to the court, also said that a copy had already been served on the commission’s counsel.

“What is your reaction counsel,” Justice Omotosho asked EFCC’s lawyer, Abbas Muhammed.
Responding after he went through the copy, Muhammed said he could not verify the authenticity at the moment.

“I have seen the publication. At this point my lord, I cannot verify. I will have to verify with the media team,” he said.

The judge then gave him the go-ahead to verify and report back to the court in the next adjourned date.

“I want to say this, on the reportage of proceedings. I won’t take it if it continues this way.

“I am going to take all your files and send back to the CJ for reassignment.

“It is not only against the defendant but against the court,” the judge said.

Justice Omotosho said writing fictitious stories about court proceedings might make the public lose confidence in the court.

He said such action borders on the integrity of the court.

“Now that this report is online, and if I now hold otherwise, how will the society see it?

“You create wrong impression in the society.

“I can’t be put in the public for analysis on what happens in court.
“You have to go and report back. This is annoying,” the judge said.

Justice Omotosho, who acknowledged the presence of accredited journalists in court, emphasised the need for accurate reportage of what transpired in court.

He likened it to the case of Rivers matter where some social media users attacked the court for its judgement which ruled in favour of Martins Amaewhule-led lawmakers after Governor Siminalayi Fubara voluntarily withdrew his counter affidavit in the suit.

“I have had so much from social media.

“The day the Rivers matter was heard and the counsel applied to withdraw their application, I stood the matter down for one hour and 30 minutes to give the counsel the opportunity to consult, before he finally withdrew their counter affidavit,” he said.

Justice Omotosho said it was, however, a different arguments on social media as some were saying that the judge did not consider the application filed by Fubara in arriving at the decision.

“Let us stop this because it affects the integrity of the system,” he said.

Earlier, the EFCC lawyer, Muhammed, informed the court that the matter was slated for continuation of trial and that their 11th witness was in court.

Segun Adeleke, the 11th prosecution witness (PW-11) and the General Manager of EFAB Properties Ltd, was led in evidence by Muhammed.

“My schedule include recruitment, discipline, dismissal and more importantly, I head the team that concludes purchases of houses in the office,” he said.

Adeleke, who said he had been in the company for 28 years, said Chief Fabian Nwora is their chairman.
When the lawyer asked him if he knew a man called, Shehu Bello, the witness responded in affirmative.

The PW-11 said in 2020, Chief Nwora, his boss, sent for him.

He said when he got to his chairman’s office, he met Shehu Bello.
“Before then, they had discussed about a property at Maitama, No 1, Ikogosi Spring Close, that Shehu Bello will come and make the payment of N500 million for the property,” he said.

The witness said Shehu Bello paid the dollars equivalent of N500 million and that he made the enquiry from a bureau de change operator to confirm.

When Muhammed asked Adeleke how the money was paid, he said: “The money was received in cash.”

He said the house located at Ikogosi, Maitama in Abuja was given “No. 1,” on the close because it was the first building on the close and the houses there were not numbered.

When asked if he had any other contact with Shehu Bello, the witness said: “Concerning our personal contact, it starts with the making of the payment. Every other contacts continue with my chairman.”

During cross examination, Aliyu, who represented Ali Bello, asked the witness if his client was Shehu Bello and he said: “No My lord.”

Also, Olusegun Jolaawo, SAN, who appeared for Sulaiman, the 2nd defendant, asked if his client was Shehu Bello and the PW-11 equally responded in the negative.

Justice Omotosho after discharging the witness from the witness box, adjourned the matter until May 7 and May 9 for continuation of trial.

Tags: Alleged false report: Judge lambasts EFCC threatens to withdraw from case against Ali Bello
Share27Tweet17Send
Previous Post

Nigeria’s controversial singer, Portable remanded in jail over alleged criminal defamation 

Next Post

LASEMA rescues 2 as lagos building collapses

Related Posts

Ogun Govt: We didn’t seek security assistance from Sunday Igboho
Breaking News

28 UniAbuja students expelled

February 22, 2026
NDLEA arrests three trans-border traffickers with 48,000 tabs of Tramadol
Breaking News

NDLEA arrests Trans Fortress Global Resources CEO for alleged illicit drug business

February 22, 2026
Ademola Lookman on target in Atlético debut; records assist, makes history in style
Breaking News

LaLiga: Lookman scores as Atlético return to winning ways with Espanyol victory

February 22, 2026
Next Post
LASEMA rescues 2 as lagos building collapses

LASEMA rescues 2 as lagos building collapses

Why I dumped PDP for APC – AMAC boss

Why I dumped PDP for APC – AMAC boss

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

  • Trump considers regime change, limited strike on Iran to press nuclear deal

    67 shares
    Share 27 Tweet 17
  • Police chief dies in auto crash

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • ADC: Presidency plots to arrest Amaechi

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Kalu, Chinese billionaire visit Dangote Refinery

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Dangote appoints daughters to key Executive Roles in major succession move

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Mystery as Nollywood Lighting Director, friend die during film shoot in Lekki

    76 shares
    Share 30 Tweet 19

Latest Stories

Ogun Govt: We didn’t seek security assistance from Sunday Igboho

28 UniAbuja students expelled

February 22, 2026
NDLEA arrests three trans-border traffickers with 48,000 tabs of Tramadol

NDLEA arrests Trans Fortress Global Resources CEO for alleged illicit drug business

February 22, 2026

Executive Order 9: How Tinubu Is Rewriting Nigeria’s Oil Revenue Structure

February 22, 2026
Ademola Lookman on target in Atlético debut; records assist, makes history in style

LaLiga: Lookman scores as Atlético return to winning ways with Espanyol victory

February 22, 2026
Manchester City defeat Inter Milan to complete season treble

EPL: O’Reilly shines as Man City pip Newcastle to put extra pressure on Arsenal

February 22, 2026
Group hails Ekeh’s N10bn Computer Science scholarship initiative as first ever futuristic scholarship in Nigeria

Tinubu salutes Leo Stan Ekeh at 70, says he’s a ‘pioneering innovator’

February 22, 2026
Unusual story of Gombe varsity student who lives on liquid for 21 years

Unusual story of Gombe varsity student who lives on liquid for 21 years

February 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.