Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

UEFA urges FIFA to stop pushing two-year World Cup plan

Freedom Reporter by Freedom Reporter
September 23, 2021
in Breaking News, News, Sports
0
Football united behind Infantino, says FIFA General Secretary

FIFA President Infantino

European football’s governing body, UEFA, has urged FIFA to stop pushing its plan for a two-year World Cup and instead to engage in “genuine consultation” over reform of the international match calendar.

FIFA is conducting a feasibility study into holding the World Cup on a biennial basis, a change from the current four-yearly cycle, but has made no secret of its desire to switch to such a format.

Arsene Wenger, the former Arsenal manager who is now FIFA’s head of Global Football Development, said this month he was “100% convinced” of the switch.

“UEFA is disappointed with the methodology adopted, which has so far led to radical reform projects being communicated and openly promoted before having been given, together with other stakeholders, the chance to participate in any consultation meeting,” UEFA said in a statement on Wednesday.

UEFA said there were numerous concerns about the impact of such a switch including the “dilution” of the World Cup’s value, risks of players being over-worked and women’s football suffering from annual men’s tournaments.

“These are just some of the serious concerns that the FIFA proposal provokes at first glance.

“And they cannot be dispelled simply with unsubstantiated promotional slogans on the supposed benefits of a thicker calendar for final tournaments,” the statement added.

UEFA said it had asked, on Sept. 14, for a meeting with FIFA and the 55 European member associations but has yet to get a reply.

FIFA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin warned this month of a potential European boycott of the World Cup if FIFA’s plans went ahead.

“We can decide not to play in it,” Ceferin, head of European soccer’s governing body, told The Times newspaper.

“As far as I know, the South Americans are on the same page. So good luck with a World Cup like that.

“I think it will never happen as it is so much against the basic principles of football.

Tags: UEFA urges FIFA to stop pushing two-year World Cup plan
Previous Post

Benefits of e-naira, by CBN

Next Post

U.S. approves Pfizer Coronavirus booster jab for elderly, at-risk groups

Next Post
COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Pfizer Biotech Vaccine for emergency use

U.S. approves Pfizer Coronavirus booster jab for elderly, at-risk groups

Southern governors back collection of VAT by states

Akeredolu to el-Rufai: Your plot to export banditry to South will fail

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Haske addressing the media  on Friday evening

Haske raises concerns over Adamawa APC primaries, urges calm

May 22, 2026
Court

‘Court verdict opens doors for aggrieved politicians to defect’

May 22, 2026

Rema, LISA, Anitta team up for FIFA World Cup anthem ‘Goals’

May 22, 2026

Blaqbonez and Asake’s “Chanel” Hits Number One on Streaming Platforms

May 22, 2026
Police

Anambra ASP Detained Over Threatening Social Media Video

May 22, 2026

Malami Money Laundering Trial Postponed as Lawyer Fails to Appear in Court

May 22, 2026

Former I-G Mohammed Adamu Alleges Result Manipulation in Nasarawa APC Primary

May 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.