Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

U.S., Iran trade attacks near Strait of Hormuz amid ceasefire

Freedom Online by Freedom Online
May 28, 2026
in Breaking News
0

The United States (U.S.) and Iran again exchanged attacks near the Strait of Hormuz early on Thursday amid a ceasefire and ongoing negotiations on ending the war.

The U.S. military attacked an Iranian position from which drones were being controlled, a U.S. official said.

U.S. forces also shot down four drones that posed a threat to the U.S., the official said, adding that the targeted position in the southern Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas had been preparing to launch a fifth drone.

“These actions were measured, purely defensive and intended to maintain the ceasefire,” the official said.

Iran’s Tasnim news agency cited a domestic military source as saying that a U.S. oil tanker had tried to pass through the strait with its radar system switched off.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the elite force of the Islamic Republic, fired on the tanker and forced it to turn back, the report said.

The information provided by both sides could not initially be independently verified.

Iranian media had earlier reported sounds of explosions near Bandar Abbas, the capital of Hormozgan province, one of Iran’s most important military hubs in the Gulf region and along the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire has been in place since April 8.

However, there have been several exchanges of attacks around the Strait of Hormuz since then.

The IRGC said early on Thursday that it had attacked the U.S. air base from which the U.S. military had fired on an area near Bandar Abbas airport.

The Gulf state of Kuwait reported coming under missile and drone fire.

“The General Staff of the Kuwaiti Armed Forces confirms that any explosions that may be heard are the result of air defense systems intercepting hostile targets,” the military said in a statement published on X.

There was initially no information on possible damage or casualties.

The Kuwaiti military did not immediately say where the attacks had originated.

After the start of U.S.-Israeli attacks on Iran on February 28, Tehran fired missiles and drones at Kuwait and other U.S.-allied Gulf states.

The U.S. military maintains numerous bases around the Gulf. The United Arab Emirates and other Gulf states have recently reported isolated renewed attacks even with the ceasefire remaining formally in place.

Tags: U.S. Iran trade attacks near Strait of Hormuz amid ceasefire
Previous Post

2027: Atiku emerges as ADC presidential candidate, appeals to Amaechi, Hayatu-Deen ‘to join in fight to save our democracy’

Next Post

Atiku wins ADC presidential ticket with 1.84m votes

Next Post

Atiku wins ADC presidential ticket with 1.84m votes

Unity Cup: Jamaica defeats India, sets up final battle with Nigeria

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Meta, FG Launch AI Academy to Train Nigerian Developers and Entrepreneurs

August 17, 2026

Sokoto-Kebbi Border: Army Strengthens Security to Stop Terrorist Infiltration

August 17, 2026

Nigeria Unveils 5-Year Strategy to Dismantle Organised Crime Networks

August 17, 2026

Lagos Power Supply: FG Adds 208MW Capacity at Apapa, Ijora Substations

August 17, 2026

Anambra Attack: Idimogu Urges Tinubu, Lagos Government to Protect Joe Igbokwe

August 17, 2026

Osun Election: Accord Chairman Hails Adeleke’s Victory as Triumph Over Intimidation

August 17, 2026

Nigeria’s Inflation Drops to 15.43% in July as Food Inflation Remains High

August 17, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.