Sunday, February 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

U-20 World Cup draw postponed amid protest against Israeli participation

Gbemi Banks by Gbemi Banks
March 26, 2023
in News
0
1.6k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The draw for the Under-20 FIFA World Cup, scheduled to take place in Indonesia next week, will be postponed after Bali’s governor refused to host the Israeli team.

The Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) said the draw that was to be held on Friday had been cancelled.
FIFA were still conducting checks on tournament readiness.

The 24-team tournament is scheduled to be held from May 20 to June 11 across six cities and Israel were set to make their debut in the competition.

A report earlier this month said that Bali’s governor, Wayan Koster, had written to the Ministry of Youth and Sports imploring them to “adopt a policy forbidding the Israeli team from competing in Bali” due to the conflict with Palestine.

The letter was also sent to the PSSI.

“Previously, the Bali governor rejected the presence of the Israeli national team in the FIFA U-20 World Cup event. This can be a reason for FIFA to cancel the U-20 World Cup draw.

“Because, for FIFA, the governor’s refusal is the same as cancelling the organizing guarantee that has been issued by the Bali provincial government,” the PSSI said in a statement.

Earlier this month, protesters marched in the capital of Jakarta waving Indonesian and Palestinian flags while demanding that Israel should not be allowed to participate.

Indonesia’s population is predominantly Muslim. Most Indonesian Muslims practice a moderate version of Islam, but recent years have seen a rise in religious conservatism that has crept into sports.

Over the past year, Israeli forces have made thousands of arrests in the West Bank and killed more than 200 Palestinians, including fighters and civilians.

Meanwhile, more than 40 Israelis and three Ukrainians have died in Palestinian attacks.

If Indonesia lose hosting rights as a result, PSSI Executive Committee member Arya Sinulingga said he was worried about how FIFA sanctions could “isolate Indonesian football from the world”.

Indonesia automatically qualified for the Under-20 World Cup as hosts but the last time they played in the tournament was in 1979.

Indonesia were also suspended by FIFA for nearly a year for government interference, with the global soccer body lifting the suspension in May 2016.

But at the time, the suspension had denied Indonesian teams the chance to qualify for upcoming major tournaments.

Sinulingga said the PSSI hoped for a solution where politics could be separated from sport, with its chairman Erick Thohir set to coordinate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Youth and Sports.

“The chairman will also report to Mr President at the first opportunity to find a solution to all this, both diplomacy and foreign policy to save Indonesian football that we love,” Sinulingga added.

The PSSI said losing hosting rights would harm Indonesian football teams’ chances of taking part in other FIFA tournaments in the future while the economic losses would amount to “trillions of rupiah”.

Indonesia is also trying to rebuild its reputation after a deadly stampede last year led to the deaths of 135 spectators at a stadium in East Java in October.

Many were crushed as they fled for exits after police fired tear gas into the crowd.

Tags: Arya SinulinggaFIFA World CupPSSI
Share25Tweet16Send
Previous Post

Match Day 10 results in 2022/2023 NPFL

Next Post

NCC-CSIRT warns of Pirated YouTube Software-related Malware

Related Posts

Ogun Govt: We didn’t seek security assistance from Sunday Igboho
Breaking News

28 UniAbuja students expelled

February 22, 2026
NDLEA arrests three trans-border traffickers with 48,000 tabs of Tramadol
Breaking News

NDLEA arrests Trans Fortress Global Resources CEO for alleged illicit drug business

February 22, 2026
News

Executive Order 9: How Tinubu Is Rewriting Nigeria’s Oil Revenue Structure

February 22, 2026
Next Post
NCC flags high-impact threat to Windows operating system, Blackbyte Ransomware

NCC-CSIRT warns of Pirated YouTube Software-related Malware

158 Anti-Corruption CSOs to Buhari: Bawa is a convict, sack him as EFCC Chairman

158 Anti-Corruption CSOs to Buhari: Bawa is a convict, sack him as EFCC Chairman

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

  • Trump considers regime change, limited strike on Iran to press nuclear deal

    67 shares
    Share 27 Tweet 17
  • Police chief dies in auto crash

    67 shares
    Share 27 Tweet 17
  • Kalu, Chinese billionaire visit Dangote Refinery

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • ADC: Presidency plots to arrest Amaechi

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Dangote appoints daughters to key Executive Roles in major succession move

    66 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 17
  • Mystery as Nollywood Lighting Director, friend die during film shoot in Lekki

    76 shares
    Share 30 Tweet 19

Latest Stories

Ogun Govt: We didn’t seek security assistance from Sunday Igboho

28 UniAbuja students expelled

February 22, 2026
NDLEA arrests three trans-border traffickers with 48,000 tabs of Tramadol

NDLEA arrests Trans Fortress Global Resources CEO for alleged illicit drug business

February 22, 2026

Executive Order 9: How Tinubu Is Rewriting Nigeria’s Oil Revenue Structure

February 22, 2026
Ademola Lookman on target in Atlético debut; records assist, makes history in style

LaLiga: Lookman scores as Atlético return to winning ways with Espanyol victory

February 22, 2026
Manchester City defeat Inter Milan to complete season treble

EPL: O’Reilly shines as Man City pip Newcastle to put extra pressure on Arsenal

February 22, 2026
Group hails Ekeh’s N10bn Computer Science scholarship initiative as first ever futuristic scholarship in Nigeria

Tinubu salutes Leo Stan Ekeh at 70, says he’s a ‘pioneering innovator’

February 22, 2026
Unusual story of Gombe varsity student who lives on liquid for 21 years

Unusual story of Gombe varsity student who lives on liquid for 21 years

February 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.