Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Turkey sacks 107 judges, prosecutors over links to failed coup

Freedom Reporter by Freedom Reporter
May 5, 2017
in Breaking News, Foreign, News
0
turkey

Turkey dismissed 107 judges and prosecutors over alleged links to a failed coup in July last year, Turkish televisions reported on Friday, further widening a purge during which it dismissed around 145,000 civil servants, security personnel and academics.
Detention warrants were issued for the dismissed judges and prosecutors, Turkish TVs said.
On April 30, Turkish authorities expelled 3,900 people from the civil service, military and gendarmerie, in what appears to be the latest large-scale purge related to last year’s failed coup.
The expelled included prison guards, clerks, academics, and employees of the religious affairs ministry, all of whom were suspected of links to “terrorist organisations and structures presenting a threat to national security” the government said.
It is the second large-scale purge since the narrow victory of an April 16 referendum giving President Tayyip Erdogan sweeping powers.
On Wednesday, more than 9,000 police personnel were suspended and another 1,000 detained for alleged links to the network of the U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara blames for the failed coup.
Some 1,127 employees of the justice ministry, including prison guards and clerks, 484 academics, and 201 employees from the religious affairs directorate, the government said on Saturday.
Some 120,000 people have already been suspended from jobs ranging from the civil service to the private sector, and more than 40,000 arrested, following last year’s failed coup.
Mass detentions immediately after the attempted coup were supported by many Turks, who agreed with Erdogan when he blamed Gulen for orchestrating the putsch which killed 240 people, mostly civilians. But criticism mounted as the arrests widened.
Relatives of those detained or sacked since July say they have nothing to do with the armed attempt to overthrow the government, and are victims of a purge designed to solidify Erdogan’s control.

Tags: turkey
Previous Post

Messi’s ban lifted after appeal to FIFA

Next Post

U.S. cargo plane crashes in West Virginia

Next Post

U.S. cargo plane crashes in West Virginia

Genevieve Nnaji makes directing debut in 'Lion Heart'

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

NEMA DG, Zubaida Umar, honoured with Responsive Humanitarian Leadership Award

August 19, 2026
South Africa

South African envoy speaks on ‘visa restrictions on Nigerians’

August 19, 2026

Grammy-winning singer Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

August 19, 2026

Zenith Bank to host 10th International Trade Seminar, charts path to unlocking greater value in Nigeria’s non-oil export sector

August 18, 2026

LG polls: APC presents flag to Umahi’s son

August 18, 2026

Varsity to ASUU: You lied! 200 lecturers never resigned

August 18, 2026

Qatar Calls for Strait of Hormuz Reopening, Revival of U.S.-Iran MoU Talks

August 18, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.