Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Taiwan vows counter-attack if Chinese forces enter its territory

Freedom Reporter by Freedom Reporter
August 31, 2022
in Breaking News, Foreign, News, World
0

Taiwan said on Wednesday it would exercise its right to self defence and counter-attack if Chinese armed forces entered its territory, as Beijing increased military activities near the democratic island.

Beijing, which claims Taiwan as its own against the strong objections of the government in Taipei, has held military exercises around the island this month in reaction to a visit to Taipei by U.S. House of Representatives Speaker, Nancy Pelosi.

Taiwanese defence officials said China’s “high intensity” military patrols near Taiwan continued and Beijing’s intention of making the Taiwan Strait separating the two sides its “inner sea” would become the main source of instability in the region.

“For aircraft and ships that entered our sea and air territory of 12 nautical miles, the national army will exercise right to self-defence and counter-attack without exception,” Lin Wen-Huang, deputy chief of the general staff for operations and planning, told reporters at a news briefing.

Taiwan has complained of Chinese drones repeatedly flying close to its small groups of islands near China’s coast.

The military will exercise the same right to counter-attack Chinese drones that did not heed warnings to leave its territory after posing threats, Lin added.

Taiwan fired warning shots at a Chinese drone for the first time on Tuesday shortly after President Tsai Ing-wen ordered Taiwan’s military to take “strong countermeasures” against what she termed Chinese provocations.

China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Zhao Lijian, in a regular press briefing, reiterated China position that Taiwan belonged to it.

“Firstly I need to tell you, Taiwan is a province of China, it has no so-called defence ministry. The Taiwan authorities are playing up their nervousness, this is meaningless,” he said.

Earlier in the week, the ministry had dismissed complaints from Taiwan about drone harassment as “not worth fussing about”.

In the same briefing, Ma Cheng-Kun, a director from military academy National Defence University, said China might further move to reject passage of foreign naval ships through the strait without its permission.

“After the new military normal status has been consolidated, then the risk of collision will increase if foreign naval ships insist on the rights of navigation and freedom,” he said.

U.S. warships and those from allied nations such as Britain and Canada have routinely sailed through the strait in recent years, including two U.S. Navy warships last week.

Taiwan’s armed forces are well-equipped but dwarfed by China’s. Tsai is overseeing a modernisation programme and has made increasing defence spending a priority.

China has not ruled out using force to bring the island under its control. Taipei rejects Beijing’s sovereignty claims, saying that the People’s Republic of China has never ruled the island and that only Taiwan’s people can decide their future. 

Tags: Taiwan vows counter-attack if Chinese forces enter its territory
Previous Post

Domestic Airlines decry FG’s ‘criminalisation’ tag over alleged  N19bn debt

Next Post

Dangote Foundation, Kano Govt sign MoU to check malnutrition among children

Next Post

Dangote Foundation, Kano Govt sign MoU to check malnutrition among children

Chinese tech giant, Huawei, records 79.063bn Yuan in first half 2022

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Tinubu

Tinubu: No plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia Law

May 21, 2026
Haske

Adamawa 2027: Haske outpaces rivals with commanding early lead in APC Primary

May 21, 2026

Mr Eazi, Otedola’s daughter Temi expecting first child

May 21, 2026
Court

Man sues ex-wife over refusal to leave after divorce

May 21, 2026
INEC

Court voids INEC timetable for conduct of 2027 polls

May 21, 2026

Obasa warns dissidents as Agege affirms Hamzat as APC governorship candidate

May 21, 2026
11 soldiers killed in Benue

Attahiru: Remembering a patriot five years on – Niran Adedokun

May 21, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.