Rape: Two jailed for life in Delta


scale_of_justiceTwo young men in Delta State have been convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for gang raping a 17-year-old girl after robbing the girl’s parents of valuables.

A Delta High Court sitting at Ughelli sentenced the two rapists having found them guilty of the offence of conspiracy, rape and attempted armed robbery.

The court, while delivering the verdict that lasted for over two hours, condemned the barbaric action of the two criminals for their shameful acts and advised young people never to resort to crime, no matter the condition they found themselves.

The court declined the plea for mercy by defence counsel, M.I Oshemele, on the ground of law and proceeded to hand down the mandatory punishment for the offence they committed as prescribed by law.

Having cited several authorities to deliver a sound judgement, the trial judge, Justice O. Tobi, averred that the confessional statements of the accused, admitted in evidence during trial, passed the veracity test and was not in doubt, saying that the prosecution, led by P.T. Daubry, had proved the essential ingredients of the three count information charge.

Ernest Steve, aged 30 and Jerry Godwin 29, reportedly broke into the 17-year-old girl (name withheld) parents’ apartment located at Young Africa Close, Ovwian within Otor-Udu judicial division under the cover of darkness on November 5, 2007 while armed with a gun and knife.

After allegedly robbing parents of the young girl of some valuables whose father is said to be a pastor, the armed gang had carnal knowledge of her in turns, causing her severe bodily injuries and psychological trauma.

However, there was a mild drama in court moments after the judgement was delivered as the mother of one of the convicted rapists went berserk as she went almost naked within the court premises saying that the life imprisonment for her only son was too much a pain for her to bear.

Meanwhile, another High Court sitting at Ughelli discharged and acquitted one Michael Sunday who was on criminal trial on a one count charge of armed robbery.

Jubilant Sunday who walked home free was in detention for five years awaiting trial.

His lawyer, Eloho Irogbo, commended the trial judge “for the erutide and sound judgement”, saying that the court remains the final hope of the common man.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.