Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Presidential ambition: Emefiele withdraws suit against INEC, AGF

Abdulah Wahab by Abdulah Wahab
May 23, 2022
in Breaking News, News
0
Emefiele

Emefiele

Godwin Emefiele, Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), on Monday, withdrew the suit he filed against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the Attorney-General of the Federation over his presidential ambition.

Emefiele, through his counsel, S.T. Maliki, told Justice Ahmed Mohammed that a notice of discontinuance had been filed and served on the defendants in the matter.

The development occurred shortly after the matter was called.

Maliki, who held the brief of Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN, said though the matter was scheduled for mention, they had Emefiele’s instruction to withdraw the suit.

“Pursuant to the instruction of the plaintiff (Emefiele), we filed a notice of discontinuance dated and filed May16, 2022

“And the said notice of discontinuance was served on all the defendants on that said date of May 16, 2022, which proof of service is before your lordship,” Maliki said.

The lawyer said of all the defendants, only the 4th and 5th defendants filed a counter affidavit in response to the plaintiff’s amended originating summons, after the notice of withdrawal had been served on them.

He prayed the court to discontinue the suit and make an order striking it out, issues having not been joined by parties in the suits, citing Order 50 of the rules of this court.

Although lawyer to the 4th defendant, John Aikpokpo-Martins, opposed Emefiele’s intention to withdraw the suit, he urged the court to dismiss the suit with N1.5 million cost.

However, counsel for the 2nd and 3rd defendants, Chris Nevo and T. J. Adi respectively did not object to the withdrawal notice.

For Nevo, he asked the court to award a N1 million cost against Emefiele.

In his ruling, Justice Mohammed held that Emefiele had the right to file the notice of withdrawal.

He said the notice of discontinuance was valid and accordingly struck out.

On May 9, Emefiele, through his lawyer, Ozekhome, had approached the court with an ex-parte motion, seeking the court’s interpretation as to whether he could run for the 2023 presidential primary while he holds as governor of CBN.

He had sought an order of the court, restraining the Federal Government from removing him from office over his presidential ambition, pending the hearing and determination of the substantive matter.

He also prayed the court to stop INEC from taking any action against him in the bid to contest in the presidential primary by virtue of his office.

The CBN governor made the prayers in an ex-parte motion dated and filed on May 9 by his lawyer, seeking an order of maintenance of status quo ante bellum pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.

Emefiele, in the suit, sued the INEC and the AGF as 1st and 2nd defendants respectively.

But Justice Mohammed, on May 12, also joined the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and two other lawyers, for themselves and on behalf of members of Save Nigeria, Our Fatherland, as 3rd, 4th and 5th defendants respectively.

Tags: Presidential ambition: Emefiele withdraws suit against INEC AGF
Previous Post

Taiwan: Biden warns China

Next Post

Iranian president vows revenge for killing of Revolutionary Guard Colonel

Next Post
Raisi

Iranian president vows revenge for killing of Revolutionary Guard Colonel

Tenant allegedly beats up landlady, damages property

AIG Awunah is dead

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Tinubu

Tinubu: No plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia Law

May 21, 2026
Haske

Adamawa 2027: Haske outpaces rivals with commanding early lead in APC Primary

May 21, 2026

Mr Eazi, Otedola’s daughter Temi expecting first child

May 21, 2026
Court

Man sues ex-wife over refusal to leave after divorce

May 21, 2026
INEC

Court voids INEC timetable for conduct of 2027 polls

May 21, 2026

Obasa warns dissidents as Agege affirms Hamzat as APC governorship candidate

May 21, 2026
11 soldiers killed in Benue

Attahiru: Remembering a patriot five years on – Niran Adedokun

May 21, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.