Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Pope Benedict XVI acknowledges ‘errors in handling Munich abuse allegations’

Freedom Reporter by Freedom Reporter
February 8, 2022
in Breaking News, News, Religion
0

Pope Benedict XVI, on Tuesday, acknowledged that errors occurred in the handling of sexual abuse cases while he was Archbishop of Munich decades ago.

The former head of the Catholic Church, said he did not directly address allegations in a report that he mishandled four cases.

A separate analysis written by four collaborators, however, contests the specific allegations against him.

Benedict, 94 and infirm, issued a letter following the report released in January on abuse in the archdiocese from 1945 to 2019.

The reports included the alleged failure to take action in those cases by then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, when he was Munich’s archbishop from 1977-1982.

In a letter, he wrote his first personal response to the report saying; “I have had great responsibilities in the Catholic Church.

“All the greater is my pain for the abuses and the errors that occurred in those different places during the time of my mandate.”

In another section of the letter, he openly wonders if he, as all Catholics do in a prayer known as the Confiteor at Mass, should ask for forgiveness for what they hd done and what they failed to do “by my fault, by my most grievous fault”.

He added: “It is clear to me that the words ‘most grievous’ do not apply each day and to every person in the same way.

“Yet every day they do cause me to question if today too I should speak of a most grievous fault.”

He does not answer his own question, but says he is consoled that God forgives.

In the letter, Benedict said in spite of any mistakes he might have made, God would be the ultimate arbiter.

“Quite soon, I shall find myself before the final judge of my life,” he concluded.

After the German report was first issued, Benedict acknowledged that he had been at a 1980 meeting over a sexual abuse case when he was Archbishop of Munich, saying he mistakenly told German investigators he was not there.

At the time, Benedict’s personal secretary, Archbishop Georg Ganswein, said the omission was the result of an oversight in the editing of the statement and not done out of bad faith.

In Monday’s letter, Benedict said; “to me it proved deeply hurtful that this oversight was used to cast doubt on my truthfulness, and even to label me a liar.’’

Tags: Pope Benedict XVI acknowledges ‘errors in handling Munich abuse allegations'
Previous Post

2022 UTME: JAMB shifts registration to February 19

Next Post

Lagos gets provisional licence for two universities

Next Post

Lagos gets provisional licence for two universities

Five injured in South Sudan plane crash

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Governor Sanwo-Olu Congratulates Hamzat on APC Lagos Governorship Primary Win

May 22, 2026
Alt="Court"

Federal High Court Orders eNaira Payment Solutions Ltd to Change Name, Favors CBN

May 22, 2026

ADC Hails Federal High Court Ruling on INEC Primaries Guidelines

May 22, 2026

Hyacinth Alia Wins APC Governorship Primary in Benue State

May 22, 2026
Alt="Court"

Federal High Court Dismisses ADC Suit Against Senator Ireti Kingibe

May 22, 2026

Lagos State Achieves N2.6 Trillion Revenue in 2025, Maintains Low Debt Ratio

May 22, 2026
Tinubu

Tinubu: No plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia Law

May 21, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.