Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

NSITF Board: Protest against Labour Minister turns bloody, as Wabba says ‘we won’t allow Ngige assume presidential powers’

Ibrahim Ahmadu by Ibrahim Ahmadu
May 8, 2019
in Breaking News, News
0
NSITF Board: Protest against Labour Minister turns bloody, as Wabba says 'we won't allow Ngige assume presidential powers'

NLC

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has called on the Federal Government to intervene over the delay in the inauguration of the board of Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF).
Mr Ayuba Wabba, the NLC President, made the appeal while addressing newsmen after a protest on the delay in inaugurating the board on Wednesday in Abuja.
The protest turned bloody as some workers were injured by thugs allegedly hired by government agents.
It would be recalled that the inauguration of the board was postponed two weeks ago with labour unions decrying the removal of Chief Frank Kokori as the Chairman of the board.
NLC had given the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, an ultimatum to inaugurate the board with Kokori as the chairman.
That ultimatum expired on May 1.
The NLC had in the early hours of Wednesday blocked the entrance to the Asokoro private residence of the minister with two fuel tanks.
During the protest, a group of thugs attacked workers with sticks and stones, and chased away the protesting workers from the minister’s residence.
Some of the workers were injured.
The NLC president described the attack on workers as barbaric.
“The act today is barbaric, where maximum force had been used upon workers and live bullets used on them.
“Whereas workers went with bare hands, the thugs were carrying weapons and arms. And as I talk to you, we have four people in the hospital apart from those that were injured by bullets,” according to him.
Wabba vowed that NLC was going to invite more workers to continue the protest, saying “we are going to invite our largest organ by tomorrow”.

We are also going to decide a larger scale of action. He has no reason to be called Minister of Labour. He is a lord of his own and therefore instead of protecting us, he is against us
Wabba

“We are also going to decide a larger scale of action. He has no reason to be called Minister of Labour. He is a lord of his own and therefore instead of protecting us, he is against us.
“Therefore, we have nothing to do with him and under the circumstance, except Mr President Muhammadu Buhari intervenes, workers are going to down tools. That is why we are calling our Central Working Committee.
“Therefore, Mr President must act on this immediately. Workers voted and supported him. Ngige cannot in any circumstance assume the powers of the president. That cannot be the case,” Wabba added.
On his part, Mr William Apkoreha, the President, National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas (NUPENG), said that two of his members were missing following the attacks by thugs at the minister’s residence.
“We are embarking on peaceful protest as two of my members are missing and I cannot fold my arms. We will maintain sanity until 12 midnight.
“If we did not hear from them, then every oil and gas worker in the country will enter the street to look for their members,’’ he threatened.
Meanwhile, Ngige has denied inviting thugs to manhandle the protesting workers.
He stated this in a statement by Mr Nwachukwu Obidiwe, his Special Assistant on Media.
“The private residence of the Minister of Labour was early this morning (4 a.m.) invaded by the President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, Comrade Ayuba Wabba, and his members.
“These members among whom are tanker drivers, some with ferocious looks, also barricaded the gate to the residence of the minister with two long trucks.
“They chanted war songs and prevented the Hon. Minister, his wife, children and other aides from either leaving or gaining access to the compound.
“Comrade Waba later left and returned with reinenforcement.
“The presence of these strange faces and mounting war songs sent heavy panic on the family members, especially children and female aides who thought the sudden early morning assemblage were of the underworld.
“Some of these unknown faces and the two tanker lorries blocking the entrance to the house are still there as I send this press statement.
“I, therefore, wish to state that contrary to reports being mischievously circulated in the media by the NLC President, the minister and is family, who are in trauma, did not invite thugs.
“He have no knowledge of it or have a hand in the alleged manhandling of any worker,‘’ he said.
NLC had claimed Ngige was responsible for the change of the appointment of Kokori to chair the Labour Institute in Ilorin.

Tags: NSITF Board: Protest against Labour Minister turns bloody as Wabba says 'we won't allow Ngige assume presidential powers'
Previous Post

‘State police will ruin Nigeria, create anarchy’

Next Post

600m new jobs needed by 2030, says Ngige

Next Post
Ngige

600m new jobs needed by 2030, says Ngige

Nigeria stock market loses N70bn, amid losses by blue chips

SEC approves listing of MTN Nigeria on NSE

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Haske addressing the media  on Friday evening

Haske raises concerns over Adamawa APC primaries, urges calm

May 22, 2026
Court

‘Court verdict opens doors for aggrieved politicians to defect’

May 22, 2026

Rema, LISA, Anitta team up for FIFA World Cup anthem ‘Goals’

May 22, 2026

Blaqbonez and Asake’s “Chanel” Hits Number One on Streaming Platforms

May 22, 2026
Police

Anambra ASP Detained Over Threatening Social Media Video

May 22, 2026

Malami Money Laundering Trial Postponed as Lawyer Fails to Appear in Court

May 22, 2026

Former I-G Mohammed Adamu Alleges Result Manipulation in Nasarawa APC Primary

May 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.