New Delhi shuts schools, colleges, cinema halls over coronavirus fears; South Africa reports first case as Iran asked IMF for $5bn emergency funding

0

All schools, colleges and cinemas in the Indian capital have been closed until March 31 as part of measures to check the spread of spread of coronavirus, officials announced on Thursday.
Government run primary schools had been closed last week in New Delhi under government orders.
Children aged between 6 and 10 attend primary school in India.
“As per the government orders being issued today, all cinema halls will remain shut until March 31.
“Schools and colleges where exams are not being held will also remain closed,’’ Delhi chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal told reporters after holding a health review meeting.
Orders were also issued to government and private offices, malls and market places to disinfect and sanitise the premises
South Africa reported the first case of local transmission of the coronavirus on Thursday, fueling concerns that sub-Saharan African health systems could be overwhelmed if local transmission accelerates.
Sub-Saharan Africa has reported far fewer cases of coronavirus than in Europe or China, but some analysts worry it could spread rapidly in poor or overcrowded areas.
South Africa’s Health Ministry said a 32-year-old man contracted the virus after contact with a Chinese businessman.
The ministry said “all others have been by patients who had travelled abroad adding that the number of confirmed cases had risen to 17 from 13 on Wednesday.
South Africa has not reported any deaths from coronavirus.
According to a Reuters tally, since the outbreak began in central China in December, more than 126,000 people have been infected by the coronavirus around the world and more than 4,600 have died.
South Africa has stepped up screening at ports of entry to try to limit the risk of new infections but has not imposed bans on travel to China or other badly affected countries.
The government dispatched a plane to repatriate more than 100 South African citizens living under lockdown conditions in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
None of those being repatriated have tested positive for coronavirus.
Iran has asked the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for emergency funding to help it fight the coronavirus outbreak, which has hit the Islamic Republic hard.
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif made this known in a tweet on Thursday.
Zarif tweeted that the IMF Managing Director, Kristalina Georgieva, has stated that countries affected by #COVID19 will be supported via Rapid Financial Instrument.
“Our Central Bank requested access to this facility immediately,’’
Iran’s Central Bank chief Abdolnaser Hemmati wrote on his Instagram page that Iran has requested for IMF fund.
“In a letter addressed to the head of IMF, I have requested $5 billion from the RFI emergency fund to help our fight against the coronavirus.’’

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.