Sunday, August 23, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

NASS election: Forgery suit against Saraki, Ekweremadu adjourned to June 1

Ibrahim Ahmadu by Ibrahim Ahmadu
April 27, 2016
in Breaking News, Legal, News, Politics
0
saraki ekweremadu

The case instituted against Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu, challenging their election as principal officers of the Senate has again being adjourned to June 1.
The Federal High Court hearing the case in Abuja was forced to adjourn the case, following the absence of four out of the six defendants in the matter.
At the resumed hearing on Wednesday, Justice Stephen Chukwu adjourned the case following information that the four defendants were not served with hearing notice by the court bailiff.

Counsel to the plaintiff, Mr Mamman Osuman (SAN) told Chukwu that counsel to Ekweremadu, Mr Patrick Ikweto, could not be located for the notice to be served on him.

Osuman further told the court that findings by his legal team and from the court bailiff indicated that Ikweto had relocated from his chambers in Wuse to an unknown destination.

He said that although the court required counsel relocating office to notify courts where he had cases, Ikweto had not done so.

Mamman, however, claimed that Ikweto might have been unable to inform the court due to an oversight.

He appealed to the judge for an adjournment to enable the defendants be served with fresh hearing notices.

The judge subsequently adjourned the matter to June 1 and ordered that fresh hearing notices be served on all parties.

Justice Chukwu warned that whether the defendants were in court or not on the adjourned date, the hearing would definitely go on.

Sen. Abu Ibrahim, and four others had filed a suit claiming that the Senate standing orders used for the election of Saraki and Ekweremadu had been forged and so the election should be nullified.

They prayed the court for an order to stop them from parading themselves as leaders of the Senate and that senators should be barred from recognizing them as principal officers.

However, Saraki, in his defence said that he was returned unopposed as there was no election and no one contested the position with him.

He said that the five senators had no locus standi to come to court because there were 109 senators and the decision of only five could not override the decision of 104 others.

He added that they brought the case to court in their individual capacity and not on behalf of the Senate.

The defence added that they had not told the court what they had lost by that election since they never claimed in their suit that they had aspired to any of the positions.

The defence prayed the court to dismiss the case for lack of merit as well as non disclosure of cause of action.

Tags: ekweremadunasssaraki
Previous Post

Alleged N6.8b theft: Trial of NAMA MD, others begin May 12

Next Post

NSCDC officers steal hospital’s airconditioner, arrested

Next Post
Easter procession: NSCDC officer's car runs into youths, kills 11 in Gombe

NSCDC officers steal hospital's airconditioner, arrested

Abba Moro testifies before court, links Immigration ex-C-G to 2014 recruitment tragedy

Abba Moro: Judge steps down, returns case file to Chief Judge

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Adeleke and Tinubu

Osun Polls: The days after and implications for 2027, by Tunde Rahman

August 22, 2026
Screenshot

Gospel Singer Asu Ekiye: My wife initiated divorce proceedings leading to dissolution of our 28-year marriage

August 22, 2026

Four members of same family, dog die after eating Amala

August 22, 2026
Nwifuru

2027: I have no opponent in Ebonyi — Nwifuru

August 22, 2026
Tinubu and Sanwo-Olu

Tinubu’s re-election campaign: Sanwo-Olu appointed South-West Coordinator

August 22, 2026

EPL: Ajayi inspires Hull City to hurt Man United

August 22, 2026

EPL: Everton, Leeds, Ipswich in opening day wins

August 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.