Lai Mohammed: FG not aware of $875m ammunition deal with U.S.

0

The Federal Government says it is not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the United States (U.S.) which is being purportedly blocked by some lawmakers in that country.

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, described the purported ammunition deal reported in some sections of the media as ”fake news.”

Speaking on Friday in Abuja, the minister said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the U.S.

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the U.S. on this issue.

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on August 3, this year.

“We are not aware of the so-called $875 million arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the U.S. are trying to persuade the president of the U.S. not to honour.

”The relationship between Nigeria and the U.S. is smooth and waxing stronger,’’ he said.

The reports in some sections of the media had claimed that influential U.S. lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by defence systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.