COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY CONGRESS HELD AT THE KADUNA COUNCIL SECRETARIAT OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS ( NUJ) DATED 30TH JULY, 2017.
The emergency congress was summoned following attack on members of Nigeria Union of Journalists, Kaduna Senators, House of Representatives members and Chieftains of the All Progressive Congress ( APC) who were addressing a press conference to register their grievances over the Delegate Congress of their party as well as the attack on journalists and the secretariat properties during the briefing.
Following extensive deliberations, the Kaduna Council Congress resolved as follows:
1. Condemned in strong terms the attack by armed political thugs who perpetrated the Mayhem leading to serious injuries on its members and destruction of properties.
2. That the Council recognise and commend the effort of policemen at the onset of the press briefing.
3. That the Council should file a petition to the Governor of Kaduna State over the involvement of a DPO Gabasawa who allegedly led the thugs that carried out the act and the petition should be copied to the Speaker Kaduna State House of Assembly and the NUJ National body.
4. That a two-week ultimatum be issued to the Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, to fish out the perpetrators of the act; while failure to do so, the Council will be left with no option but to boycott the activities of the Nigeria Police in the State pending satisfactory evidence that the culprits are brought to book.
5. That the Governor of Kaduna State Mallam Nasir Ahmed Elrufai as the Chief Security Officer of the State be officially informed of the security challenges of journalists in the state and the need for him to intervene urgently.
Chairman NUJ Kaduna Council