Saturday, May 23, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Iran to U.S: We want to negotiate

Freedom Online by Freedom Online
January 12, 2026
in Breaking News
0

Amid the ongoing mass protests across Iran in which hundreds of people have been killed, the country had asked the U.S. to open new negotiations, President Donald Trump said.

Speaking aboard Air Force One on Sunday, Trump told reporters the Iranian leadership had called him “to negotiate” a day earlier.

He added that a meeting with Iranian representatives might be arranged, but said the U.S. could need to act beforehand given ongoing protests in the country.

“I think they’re tired of being beat up by the U.S.,” he added, apparently referring to Israeli strikes on Iran’s nuclear programme last year, which involved U.S military support.

Trump did not specify what topics the talks would cover. Last year, Tehran had held indirect discussions with U.S. special envoy, Steve Witkoff, over its disputed nuclear programme.

Earlier on Sunday, U.S. media reported Trump was considering possible military strikes on Iran, but also other options.

This, after Trump had weighed Iran strikes and non-military options.”

CNN reported, citing two U.S. officials, that Trump had been briefed on various ways of intervening in light of reports that hundreds of protesters have been killed.

Alongside a range of possible military options, measures that would not involve direct military action were also discussed.

According to CNN, some of the approaches presented to Trump focused on targeting Tehran’s security forces deployed to suppress the protests.

The broadcaster said there were concerns within Trump’s administration that military strikes could backfire and undermine the protests.

There were fears that attacks could inadvertently lead to greater public support in Iran for the authoritarian leadership, or trigger military retaliation by Tehran.

The news site Axios also reported, citing U.S. officials, that Trump was considering various options, including military ones, to support the protests in Iran.

Most of the approaches put to him currently did not involve combat operations, according to Axios.

Other possibilities reportedly focus on intimidating the Iranian leadership, for example by deploying an aircraft carrier strike group to the region.

Axios said cyberattacks are also under consideration.

Trump shared his support for the demonstrations in Iran over the weekend, saying the U.S. was “ready to help,” without specifying what form any help might take.

The Iranian leadership has blocked the internet for the fourth consecutive day due to the protests; however, Trump suggested the U.S. might help protesters access satellite internet.

Asked whether he would make Starlink, the satellite internet service operated by tech billionaire Elon Musk’s SpaceX, available in Iran.

Trump said the issue was under consideration and the U.S. would try to restore internet access if possible.

He added that he planned to call Musk later in the day.

According to the U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency, at least 544 people have been killed during the mass protests over the past 15 days.

The actual number of fatalities could be much higher, as communication with the outside world was severely restricted due to internet blackouts and blocked phone lines.

The protests were triggered about two weeks ago by the country’s crippling economic crisis, but quickly turned into political demonstrations against the apparatus of the Islamic Republic.

Tags: Iran to U.S: We want to negotiate
Previous Post

Umahi threatens to terminate road contract over poor performance

Next Post

AFCON 2025: Rabat is good happy hunting ground for Eagles

Next Post

AFCON 2025: Rabat is good happy hunting ground for Eagles

AFCON 2025: Algeria Football Federation petitions CAF, FIFA over alleged unfair referee decisions in Nigeria defeat

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Lagos Justice Reforms Save State Over ₦1.25bn, Secure Release of 397 Inmates — Pedro

May 23, 2026

Hayatu-Deen challenges Atiku, Amaechi on ADC ethical commitment

May 23, 2026

How I emerged as Kwara APC guber candidate – Danladi-Yakubu

May 23, 2026

Abiodun appoints Saka as Ogun Head of Service

May 23, 2026
Makinde

Oyo Govt suspends school excursions over security fears

May 23, 2026

Eid-el-Kabir: Ram prices hit N700,000

May 23, 2026
Haske addressing the media  on Friday evening

Haske raises concerns over Adamawa APC primaries, urges calm

May 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.