Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Irabor: Those behind Owo church massacre have been captured

Roland Edwards by Roland Edwards
August 9, 2022
in Breaking News, News
0
Irabor pledges military’s support to professional bodies

Irabor

The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Lucky Irabor, says the masterminds of the June 5 massacre in Owo, Ondo State have been captured by security operatives.

No fewer than 40 worshippers were massacred at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, an incident that jolted Nigeria and the global community.

Speaking at a parley with media executives at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, Irabor said that the terrorists were captured at different locations across the country.

He said that the suspects, majority of whom were arrested in various communities in Kogi State, would be paraded before the public in due course.

“We had wanted to present the suspects to the public immediately but couldn’t because certain investigations are still being carried out,” he said.

He gave his assurance that in due course, the suspects and others who had been involved in some daring attacks in the past few months would be presented to the public.

“Starting with the Owo church attack, it is my pleasure to let you know that we have arrested those behind that dastardly act.

“On August 7, one Idris Ojo (37) was apprehended at Aiyetorosi in Ondo State. He was one of the high-profile Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) members that escaped from Kuje Prison.

“He was arrested along with one Jimoh Ibrahim, a 39-year-old criminal.

“Ojo was not done with all the criminal activities which he undertook in the past, he was also planning other deadly attacks and he was perfecting those plans along with his cronies before he was captured,” he said.

“Again, on August 4,  the military in a combined operation with the Department of State Service (DSS), arrested four terrorists at Eika in Okehi Local Government Area of Kogi State.

“Others are Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza, otherwise known as Ibn Malik; Momoh Abubakar, Aliyu Itopa and Auwal Onimisi.

“Now, Omeiza is one of the masterminds of the June 5 Catholic Church attack in Owo as well as the attack on the police station in Adavi also in Kogi State that led to the killing of a policeman as well as weapons being carried away,” the CDS said.

On the Abuja-Kaduna train attack, Irabor said that although some victims had been released, the military and other security agencies remained committed to ensuring safe rescue of the remaining victims in captivity.

He said the military had intensified both air and ground operations to deal with criminals in all parts of the country, adding that several successes had been recorded in recent times.

Irabor disclosed that based on military air operations, the military on August 6, killed one Alhaji Abdulkareen, a bandits’ leader along with his fighters in the North-West.

“By the deeds of the surgical air operations that we have conducted, many of the bandits’ leaders have been killed,” he added.

The CDS said the essence of the parley was to solicit understanding and support from the media in the fight against the security challenges bedeviling the nation.

He, however, called for greater cooperation between the military and the media with a view to finding solution to the security challenges and disallow enemies from stoking fears in the minds of the public.

The defence chief also urged Nigerians and political leaders to understand the distinction between military operations and politics, adding that the military remained undaunted in ensuring a safe and secured nation.

Earlier, the Director, Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Jimmy Akpor, said the essence of the parley was to build a sustainable trust between the media and members of the armed forces.

Akpor said the meeting was in line with the leadership focus of Irabor toward fostering professional armed forces capable of meeting constitutional imperatives.

The Chief Executive Officer of The Media Today, Mr Charles Odenigbo, said the military and media must be frank and open to each other in ensuring peace and security in the country.

Odenigbo, the facilitator of the event, said that although military operations could not be discussed in the open, there was need to see how the media could fit into the activities of the military.

Tags: Irabor: Those behind Owo church massacre have been captured
Previous Post

Reps summon Finance Minister, demand oil subsidy claims documents

Next Post

Oyetola condemns killing of two persons in Ede allegedly by police officer, lawmaker

Next Post
FG picks Osun as destination for celebration of 2021 World Environment Day

Oyetola condemns killing of two persons in Ede allegedly by police officer, lawmaker

Six millionaires emerge from Dangote Cement Promo

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Tinubu

Tinubu: No plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia Law

May 21, 2026
Haske

Adamawa 2027: Haske outpaces rivals with commanding early lead in APC Primary

May 21, 2026

Mr Eazi, Otedola’s daughter Temi expecting first child

May 21, 2026
Court

Man sues ex-wife over refusal to leave after divorce

May 21, 2026
INEC

Court voids INEC timetable for conduct of 2027 polls

May 21, 2026

Obasa warns dissidents as Agege affirms Hamzat as APC governorship candidate

May 21, 2026
11 soldiers killed in Benue

Attahiru: Remembering a patriot five years on – Niran Adedokun

May 21, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.