Friday, May 22, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

FIFA faces lawsuit over rules banning transfer of minors

Freedom Reporter by Freedom Reporter
November 24, 2016
in News, Sports
0
Nigeria still world’s 31st in FIFA ranking

FIFA

FIFA is facing a lawsuit in a Zurich court over regulations that ban the transfer of players under the age of 18.

The case was filed at the Zurich Commercial Court on Wednesday on behalf of a 17-year-old African player and his parents, who say that the rules make FIFA’s transfer regulations unlawful.

Zurich law firm spokesman, Nater Dallafior Rechtsanwaelte, said that the player, who represented his country at youth level, was unable to move to a club in the European Union because of the rules.

“Thereby, he and his family miss the probably unique chance of a professional and social advancement,’’ said the statement issued on Thursday.

FIFA bans the international transfers of players under the age of 18 unless their parents have emigrated for reasons not connected to football.

Otherwise, both the player and club are required to be based within 50 kilometres of a national border.

The only other exception is for transfers within either the EU or European Economic Area (EEA), where the minimum age is 16.

In those cases, clubs must still ensure that the player continues his education and studies for an alternative career, as well as making sure he has a high living standard.

“FIFA implemented these regulations on the pretext that young football players such as the claimant must be protected,’’ said the statement.

“In reality, however, these regulations lead to a discrimination of football players from third countries outside the European Union.’’

This, it said, made them unlawful.

The statement said the rules also infringed EU law, which allowed for unrestricted free movement of students and employees.

FIFA could not immediately be reached for comment but has argued in the past that the rules go back to an agreement signed in 2001 between FIFA, UEFA and the European Commission.

According to FIFA, these had been further developed over the years.

Spanish clubs Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have been banned from signing players for two transfer windows by FIFA for breaching the rules.

Meanwhile, Barcelona have completed a similar ban. All three clubs denied wrongdoing.

Former Cameroon international Jean-Claude Mbvoumin, who has set up the Culture-Foot-Solidaire group to fight the trafficking of minors, says that young African players are still brought to Europe by false-agents.

He told media last year that families sometimes hand over their life savings to the agents hoping to secure a move to a top club, only for their sons to be abandoned on the streets of Europe.

FIFA is also facing a legal complaint at the European Commission from the world players’ union FIFPro, which says that the current transfer regulations have led to a lack of competition in the sport.

Tags: fifa
Previous Post

Baru: Nigerian crude not ‘stranded’

Next Post

Total loses N22 to lead losers’ table on NSE

Next Post
NSE: Market capitalisation loses N40bn

Total loses N22 to lead losers’ table on NSE

Marriage or not, Mariah Carey goes ahead with reality TV show

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Tinubu

Tinubu: No plan to rename Nigeria, abolish Sharia Law

May 21, 2026
Haske

Adamawa 2027: Haske outpaces rivals with commanding early lead in APC Primary

May 21, 2026

Mr Eazi, Otedola’s daughter Temi expecting first child

May 21, 2026
Court

Man sues ex-wife over refusal to leave after divorce

May 21, 2026
INEC

Court voids INEC timetable for conduct of 2027 polls

May 21, 2026

Obasa warns dissidents as Agege affirms Hamzat as APC governorship candidate

May 21, 2026
11 soldiers killed in Benue

Attahiru: Remembering a patriot five years on – Niran Adedokun

May 21, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.