EPL: Manchester United struggle for 2-2 draw with Arsenal, Wolves stun Chelsea, Liverpool beat Burnley


Manchester United twice came from a goal behind to draw 2-2 with Arsenal on Wednesday and deny the visitors a first win in 12 Premier League games at Old Trafford.
The first clash between the old rivals since 1986 not featuring either Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger in the dugout was a pulsating contest.
But Unai Emery’s Arsenal will feel they should have won.
A dreadful mistake by goalkeeper David de Gea allowed Arsenal to draw first blood after 26 minutes as Shkodran Mustafi’s downward header bounced up and through the Spanish goalkeeper’s hands.
However, the ball was just crossing the line in spite of the attempt of Ander Herrera to hack clear.
Anthony Martial levelled four minutes later, tapping home after Marcos Rojo’s free kick was well-saved by goalkeeper Bernd Leno.
Herrera, who had looked offside, kept the ball alive and squared for the Frenchman.
Arsenal went back in front in the 68th minute, Alexandre Lacazette being credited with the goal after Rojo’s attempted tackle saw the ball ricochet past De Gea.
This time the lead lasted a matter of seconds as Manchester United replied with Jesse Lingard sliding the ball under Leno after a lapse in concentration by Sead Kolasinac.
Arsenal came close to winning the game on several occasions but De Gea made up for his error with some fine saves.
The Gunners, who slipped to fifth place, are now unbeaten in their last 20 games in all competitions while Manchester United are in eight place, eight points off the top four.
Meanwhile, Diogo Jota scored his first English Premier League goal as Wolverhampton Wanderers came from behind to stun title hopefuls Chelsea 2-1 at Molineux.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek gave the visitors a halftime lead but two goals in four minutes from Raul Jimenez and Jota turned the match in favour of the hosts.
But they were claiming their first win in two months.
Chelsea trail league leaders Manchester City by 10 points and will host Pep Guardiola’s side on Saturday.
Wolves climb to 12th and will be relieved to have brought their horror run of form to an end.
Chelsea went ahead on 18 minutes when Loftus-Cheek scored for the second match in a row.
His shot from outside the box deflected into the Wolves goal by the head of home captain Conor Coady.
The visitors had a strong call for a penalty kick turned down minutes after halftime when Alvaro Morata was clattered from behind as he seemed destined to score.
But it was the home side who found the back of the net on the hour-mark.
The impressive Morgan Gibbs-White fed Jimenez, who had a lot to do from a tight angle but drilled the ball past Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Four minutes later the home side were ahead when Matt Doherty provided a low cross that was tapped in at the back post by Jota.
In another match in the English Premier League, Fulham moved off the bottom of the table with a 1-1 draw against Leicester City on Wednesday.
But they will rue being unable to hold on to their lead and secure their first clean sheet of the season.
Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri had his name sung by the visiting supporters, having guided Leicester to the English Premier League title in 2016.
But it was the home fans who were the loudest three minutes before halftime as Aboubakar Kamara fired home an angled shot after being played in by Aleksandar Mitrovic.
Fulham went into the game with the worst goal difference in the league having conceded 35 goals in 14 matches.
But they peppered Kasper Schmeichel’s goal with shots, registering 23 attempts.
They were made to pay for their profligacy when James Maddison found the bottom left corner after 74 minutes, his second goal in as many games.
Other results show Everton drawing 1-1 with Newcastle United while Burnley lost 1-3 to visiting Liverpool.
Tottenham beat Southampton 3-1.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.