EPL: Manchester United finish third to deny Leicester City Champions League spot; Aston Villa survive with tense draw at West Ham United; Bournemouth end top flight stay with win at Everton


Manchester United won 2-0 at Leicester City on Sunday to finish third in the 2019/2020 English Premier League (EPL) and clinch a place in next season’s UEFA Champions League.
Manchester United booked their spot in Europe’s elite club competition on the final day of the season at the expense of Leicester City who finished fifth behind fourth-placed Chelsea.
The team managed by Brendan Rodgers have now settled for a Europa League berth.
Manchester United finished on 66 points, ahead of Chelsea on goal difference and four points clear of Leicester City, who missed several chances before they were undone late on by sloppy errors.
Bruno Fernandes fired Manchester United ahead with a 71st minute penalty kick.
Substitute Jesse Lingard sealed the win deep into stoppage time after a bad mistake by Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.
Leicester City dominated the opening half as Youri Tielemans went close with a clever first-time shot which trickled inches wide.
This was before Schmeichel kept out a Marcus Rashford volley on the stroke of half-time.
Jamie Vardy hit the top of the woodwork for Leicester City on the hour from an audacious header with his back facing goal.
The home side collapsed in the last 20 minutes, with defender Jonny Evans receiving a late red card for a rash tackle on Scott McTominay.
Aston Villa preserved their English Premier League (EPL) status with a nerve-racking 1-1 draw at West Ham United on Sunday.
It was a result that meant they finished one point above the relegation zone.
Team captain Jack Grealish thought he had won it for Aston Villa when he fired past Lukasz Fabianski in the 84th minute.
But West Ham United hit back almost immediately through Andriy Yarmolenko.
With Bournemouth winning at Everton, Dean Smith’s Aston Villa knew that defeat would send them down but they held on.
Aston Villa had been in the bottom three since February until their midweek win over Arsenal left their fate in their own hands.
While they could not grab the victory, Watford’s loss at Arsenal ensured a second successive season in the top flight.
Junior Stanislas scored a fine solo goal as Bournemouth fought gallantly with an entertaining 3-1 victory over Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday.
But, in spite of the win, their five-year stay in the English Premier League (EPL) has come to an end.
The visitors needed three points to have a chance of survival and put on an excellent display.
However, Aston Villa’s draw at West Ham United sealed the fate of the south coast side, who finished with 34 points, one shy of safety.
Josh King gave the visitors the lead from the penalty kick spot after 13 minutes.
But Everton drew level before half-time through Moise Kean as the home team enjoyed the majority of possession.
However, after Dominic Solanke restored their lead, Stanislas gave Bournemouth a two-goal cushion late in the second half.
It was just a second win in 13 matches for Bournemouth, and their first at away since victory at Chelsea in December.
However, their nine losses on the road since then went a long way to sealing their return to the Championship.
Everton ended their disappointing campaign in 12th position, with much work for manager Carlo Ancelotti to do in the short pre-season before the start of the new campaign on Sept. 12.
The win was a first at Goodison Park for Bournemouth and a first home defeat for Everton since November, but that will be scant consolation for Cherries manager Eddie Howe.
The visitors started the better and after Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford had saved one-on-one from Callum Wilson, were awarded a penalty kick.
This was for a handball offence by Richarlison in the 13th minute, and King confidently converted the spot kick.
Everton were level when Seamus Coleman worked Theo Walcott into space and his low cross was tapped in at the back post by Kean for his second league goal of the season.
Bournemouth were back in front before the break, as Diego Rico’s free-kick was brilliantly headed home by Solanke.
Everton did most of the pressing in the second half, but it was the visitors who grabbed a third goal.
That was when Stanislas showed great determination to create a shooting chance and beat the poor dive of Pickford.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

2 × three =