Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Conflict in Sudan taking dangerous turn for civilians – UN 

Robert Imoh by Robert Imoh
January 18, 2025
in Foreign, News
0

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk, has said that the conflict in Sudan is taking an “even more dangerous turn for civilians.”

Türk gave the warning in a statement on Friday.

His warning comes amid reports that dozens were brutally killed in ethnically targeted attacks in Al Jazirah state in the southeast.

This is also amid reports of an imminent battle for the control of the country’s capital, Khartoum.

The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and a rival military, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), have been fighting since April 2023 in what Türk called a “senseless war”.

As they “battle for control at all cost, direct and ethnically motivated attacks on civilians are becoming increasingly common,” he noted.

“The situation for civilians in Sudan is already desperate, and there is evidence of the commission of war crimes and other atrocity crimes.

“I fear the situation is now taking a further, even more dangerous turn,” he said.

In the last week alone, his office, OHCHR, documented at least 21 deaths in just two attacks on camps in Al Jazirah, located some 40 kilometres from the state capital, Wad Madani.

However, the actual number of attacks directed at civilians, and of civilians killed, are likely to be higher.

On Jan. 10, at least eight civilians were killed in an attack on Taiba Camp, and at least 13 women and one man were abducted.

Houses were burnt and livestock, crops and other property looted, while dozens of families were displaced.

The next day, at least 13 civilians were killed, including two boys, in an assault on Khamsa Camp.

The attacks came in the context of the recapture of Wad Madani by the SAF.

Reports suggest they were carried out by the Sudan Shield Forces led by Abu Aqla Keikal, a former RSF commander, who defected to the other side last October.

The attacks reportedly targeted the Kanabi, a historically marginalised group comprised mainly of Nuba and other African tribes.

Türk noted that the Sudanese authorities’ assurance that the attacks would be fully investigated and those responsible brought to justice, and an investigation committee has been established.

“Retaliatory attacks – of shocking brutality – on entire communities based on real or perceived ethnic identity are on the rise, as is hate speech and incitement to violence.

“This must, urgently, be brought to an end,” he said.

He said that OHCHR received three videos that document scenes of violence, including unlawful killings.

They were reportedly filmed in Wad Madani, with men in SAF uniforms visibly present.

In the videos, victims were dehumanised and denigrated as “Wassekh” (dirt), “Afan” (mould), “Beheema” (animal) and “Abnaa E-dheif” (bastards).

Summary executions were hailed by perpetrators as “Nadhafa” (a cleaning operation).

Serious concerns also persist for civilians in North Darfur.

There, ethnically motivated attacks by the RSF and its allied Arab militias against African ethnic groups, particularly the Zaghawa and the Fur, continue to exact a horrific toll.

Separately, some 120 civilians were reportedly killed and more than 150 injured in drone attacks in the city of Omdurman, on Jan. 13.

They were allegedly launched by the SAF on a market in the Ombada Dar es Salam square, an RSF-controlled area.

Türk reiterated his call for the fighting to end, and for the warring sides to uphold their obligations under international humanitarian law and international human rights law.

He also warned the proliferation of militia recruitment and mobilization of fighters – largely along ethnic lines – risks unleashing a broader civil war and inter-communal violence.

“The SAF and the RSF are responsible for the actions of groups and individuals fighting on their behalf,” he said.

He urged them to take immediate measures to ensure the protection of all civilians.

Such measures should include taking all feasible measures to avoid, or at the very least, minimise harm to civilians in the conduct of hostilities.

He added that prompt, independent, impartial and transparent investigations into all reports of violations and abuses were crucial.

Previous Post

LG Poll: We have lost confidence in electoral process – Ondo residents

Next Post

Shettima commiserates with families of slain soldiers in Maiduguri

Next Post

Shettima commiserates with families of slain soldiers in Maiduguri

Alt="Police"

Kidnap: Police deploy team to rescue ex-AIG Odumosu’s wife

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

EKITI GAINS ANOTHER POTENTIAL HERITAGE-TOURISM TREASURE IN ARAMOKO

August 19, 2026
NBC

NBC warns Broadcasters, Online Publishers, others against election disinformation

August 19, 2026
Iba Adams

Gani Adams, Ogun Tourism Commissioner: Teaching of History, Yoruba vital for national cohesion

August 19, 2026
Olalere Oyewumi

Senator Oyewumi: Osun APC leaders are terrible people

August 19, 2026

NEMA DG, Zubaida Umar, honoured with Responsive Humanitarian Leadership Award

August 19, 2026
South Africa

South African envoy speaks on ‘visa restrictions on Nigerians’

August 19, 2026

Grammy-winning singer Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

August 19, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.