Saturday, May 23, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Burkina Faso protest against militant attacks turns violent

Freedom Reporter by Freedom Reporter
November 27, 2021
in Foreign, News
0

Protesters burned tyres and pillaged a government building in Burkina Faso’s capital on Saturday after police fired tear gas to disperse a march against the state’s failure to stop a wave of violence by Islamist militants.

Activist groups called for renewed protests in response to a recent surge of attacks in the West African country, including one by al Qaeda-linked militants that killed 49 military police officers and four civilians two weeks ago.

The assault near the northern town of Inata was the deadliest Burkinabe security forces have suffered since an insurgency broke out in 2015 and has fuelled anger against the government and the French military forces that support it.

Since then, there have been scattered protests against President Roch Kabore’s government.

On Saturday morning, military police officers launched tear gas canisters to disperse about 100 protesters who were trying to march toward downtown Ouagadougou, the capital, a Reuters reporter said.

Demonstrators in the city of Kaya also prevented the passage of a French military convoy on its way to neighbouring Niger for nearly a week.

In Ouagadougou, protesters erected barricades and burned tyres and trash cans.

Some demonstrators later vandalised a government records building across from the mayor’s office, leaving computers and documents in the street.

“Since he (Kabore) is in power, terrorists are spreading desolation in this country and he is incapable of finding a solution to this problem.

“So, we ask for his immediate resignation,” Valentin Yamkoudougou, spokesperson for the “Save Burkina Faso” movement that organised the protest, told Reuters.

Kabore promised in a speech to the nation on Thursday to end “dysfunction” within the military after reports the gendarmes at the base near Inata had run out of food weeks before the attack.

The public’s angry response to the latest attacks has unnerved the authorities, who cut mobile internet access a week ago and refused to authorise Saturday’s demonstration.

The United Nations’ special envoy to West Africa said on Thursday he was concerned about the situation in Burkina Faso and warned against any military takeover, following coups in three neighbouring countries over the past year. 

Tags: Burkina Faso protest against militant attacks turns violent
Previous Post

Sudanese prime minister dismisses police chief, his deputy

Next Post

Power has changed hands in media industry, online now king, Umunna tells advertisers, others

Next Post

Power has changed hands in media industry, online now king, Umunna tells advertisers, others

Ugwuanyi flags-off Ingrace Water-on-Wheels enterprise

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Lagos Justice Reforms Save State Over ₦1.25bn, Secure Release of 397 Inmates — Pedro

May 23, 2026

Hayatu-Deen challenges Atiku, Amaechi on ADC ethical commitment

May 23, 2026

How I emerged as Kwara APC guber candidate – Danladi-Yakubu

May 23, 2026

Abiodun appoints Saka as Ogun Head of Service

May 23, 2026
Makinde

Oyo Govt suspends school excursions over security fears

May 23, 2026

Eid-el-Kabir: Ram prices hit N700,000

May 23, 2026
Haske addressing the media  on Friday evening

Haske raises concerns over Adamawa APC primaries, urges calm

May 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.