A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Seye Oladejo, has criticised former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar over his reported plan to restore fuel subsidy if elected president in 2027.
Oladejo, a former Lagos APC spokesperson, questioned the consistency of Atiku’s position, noting that the former vice-president had previously supported the removal of petrol subsidy.
He made the remarks in a statement issued on Saturday, amid preparations for the 2027 presidential election.
Oladejo challenges Atiku’s subsidy position
Oladejo argued that Atiku should explain why he previously described subsidy removal as inevitable and supported the policy during the 2023 presidential campaign if he now believes the policy was fundamentally wrong.
He said that if Atiku’s objection was primarily about how the subsidy was removed, the former vice-president should present an alternative approach rather than simply proposing a return to the previous system.
The APC chieftain said major economic policies should not change merely because an election is approaching.
According to him, Nigerians need presidential candidates with clear and consistent economic positions, rather than policies designed primarily to appeal to public frustrations.
Subsidy removal has caused hardship, APC chieftain admits
Oladejo acknowledged that the removal of fuel subsidy had created significant economic difficulties for Nigerians.
He pointed to rising transportation costs and pressure on household incomes as some of the consequences of the reform.
However, he argued that the hardship should not result in Nigerians viewing the former subsidy regime as an ideal solution.
He maintained that continuing to use scarce public funds to keep petrol prices artificially low could limit government’s ability to invest in critical sectors such as education, healthcare, infrastructure and security.
Tinubu’s subsidy decision defended
Oladejo defended President Bola Tinubu’s decision to end the fuel subsidy in 2023, describing it as a politically difficult measure that required government to prioritise long-term economic considerations.
He nevertheless said the government must demonstrate that the financial resources freed by the reform were being used to improve citizens’ lives.
The APC chieftain argued that increased government revenue should translate into visible development and improved public services.
He also called on state and local governments to show Nigerians how increased allocations were being converted into infrastructure and social services.
Atiku challenged to provide details
Oladejo challenged Atiku to explain how his proposed subsidy restoration would work if he wins the 2027 presidential election.
He specifically asked the former vice-president to disclose the expected annual cost of the programme, how it would be financed and what safeguards would be introduced to prevent abuse.
According to Oladejo, the 2027 presidential contest should focus on competing economic ideas, credibility and the ability of candidates to implement their promises.
He urged presidential contenders to provide Nigerians with realistic solutions rather than policies designed solely to appeal to voters’ immediate frustrations.
Oladejo also said the Tinubu administration needed to improve transparency, communication and implementation of its economic reforms to sustain public confidence.
He maintained that economic reforms could only gain lasting public support when Nigerians could see measurable improvements in their living conditions.


















