Sunday, August 23, 2026
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
  • Home
  • News
    • Foreign
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates
No Result
View All Result
Freedom Online
No Result
View All Result

Court orders PENGASSAN to recall suspended members

Robby Akeju by Robby Akeju
May 26, 2016
in Legal, News
0
Osifo Festus is PENGASSAN President

PENGASSAN

The National Industrial Court on Thursday in Abuja ordered the Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers Association (PENGASSAN) to recall its suspended members, pending the determination of the substantive suit filed in the court.
PENGASSAN had suspended some members of its Petroleum Equalisation Fund (PEF) Branch, in spite of a court directive that none of the parties should take any further action until the suit was determined.
The suspended members had gone to court, asking the court to stop some persons from parading themselves as leaders of the union in the branch.
This, they said, was as a result of an inconclusive election in November 2015 which failed to produce an executive committee for the branch.
Counsel to the claimant, Mr Oluwaseun Alabi, told the court that he had filed a motion for contempt against the defendant for failing to obey court orders.
Alabi said that contrary to a ruling given by the court on Jan. 22 that status quo be maintained pending the determination of the substantive suit, the defendant had gone ahead to suspend the claimants.
“The court ordered that the parties should explore the option of settling the matter amicably and we started the process.
“However, on May 16, a notice was published in one of the dailies where the claimants were purportedly suspended.
“The claimants were shocked by the notice and so we have filed a motion for contempt of court,” Alabi said.
On his part, counsel to the defendant, Mr R.U. Ezeani said that he got to know of the publication suspending the claimants when he received the notice of contempt.
Ezeani said he had asked his client for an explanation as to why the suspension was given but was yet to get a reply.
He, however, told the court that despite the order that status quo be maintained, the claimants had been holding meetings and their counsel wrote to the defendants on the matter.
The Presiding Judge, Justice Babatunde Adejumo, said the action taken by the defendants was pre-emptive of the decision of the court.
Adejumo ordered that the suspended members must be recalled failing which the person, who signed the suspension notices would face the wrath of the law.
He, however, advised that since the suit was a civil matter, both parties should explore avenues of settling it amicably without anyone taking the laws into his hands.
The judge urged counsel to the claimants to withdraw the motion of contempt just as he appealed to the defendant’s counsel to advise his clients to seek peaceful settlement.
Adejumo adjourned the matter till June 22 for report of settlement.

Tags: pengassan
Previous Post

FG to inject competition into aviation sector, says minister

Next Post

Brent oil breaks above $50 for first time in seven months

Next Post

Brent oil breaks above $50 for first time in seven months

Lai Mohammed commends outgoing CEOs of Information agencies, challenges new ones

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/VID-20260408-WA0025.mp4
https://freedomonline.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2025/01/5aeac180-db4e-4e7c-bd37-07ddbf15b053.mp4

Popular Stories

Plugin Install : Popular Post Widget need JNews - View Counter to be installed

Latest Stories

Adeleke and Tinubu

Osun Polls: The days after and implications for 2027, by Tunde Rahman

August 22, 2026
Screenshot

Gospel Singer Asu Ekiye: My wife initiated divorce proceedings leading to dissolution of our 28-year marriage

August 22, 2026

Four members of same family, dog die after eating Amala

August 22, 2026
Nwifuru

2027: I have no opponent in Ebonyi — Nwifuru

August 22, 2026
Tinubu and Sanwo-Olu

Tinubu’s re-election campaign: Sanwo-Olu appointed South-West Coordinator

August 22, 2026

EPL: Ajayi inspires Hull City to hurt Man United

August 22, 2026

EPL: Everton, Leeds, Ipswich in opening day wins

August 22, 2026
Freedom Online

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Interview
  • Sports
  • Ad Rates

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • #13921 (no title)
  • Advert Rates
  • APC ad
  • Archive Sitemap
  • Contact
  • Contact Us
  • Documents
  • Full Width
  • Homepage
  • Ogun State
  • Ogun State banner ad
  • P-A
  • P-A2
  • Privacy policy
  • Sample Page
  • Sample Page
  • Submit an article
  • Welcome

© 2026 Published by SWAAYA LIMITED, Plot 20, Block G, Scheme 1, Residential 3, OPIC Beachland Estate, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, Lagos. Gabriel Akinadewo, MD/CEO 08023010222, 08094000056, 08052097814.