Enugu LG election: Three arrested, two wounded in explosion near polling station


The Enugu State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of three persons in connection with an explosion which occurred on Saturday, about 400 metres away from a polling station at Coal Camp, in the Enugu metropolis.
The polling station was one of the designated centres for Saturday’s Enugu State Local Government Election.
The command’s spokesperson, SP Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the development in Enugu on Saturday, said that two persons were wounded.
Amaraizu also said that a tricycle was destroyed by the minor explosion which occurred at a workshop about 400 metres near the entrance of a polling station at Coal Camp.
“There is no cause for alarm as the command’s Explosive Ordinance Department (EOD) is already at the scene of the incident.
“The polling station close to the scene is still having voters patiently waiting to exercise their franchise.
“It is just a coincidence happening on the day of election.
“The command, however, is assuring members of the public that the cause of the minor explosion will be thoroughly investigated,’’ he said.
Mr Chinedu Anigbo, Chairman of Enugu Urban 1 Amalgamated Neighbourhood Watch, said the explosion occurred around 8.30a.m. when voters were arriving to vote.
Anigbo appealed to voters to remain calm and should not be intimidated by miscreants.
Meanwhile, some voters who turned out to cast their votes for the Enugu State Local Government Election in Enugu, angrily left the polling units due to late arrival of voting materials.
Some party agents were seen pleading with voters not to be discouraged as the exercise would soon commence.
At Igbariam Primary School and Emmanuel Church polling units, Achara Layout, in Enugu South, Umuchigbo Nike Ward 1 in Enugu East, Enugu North Ward 11, some of the voters left the venue after waiting for over three hours.
Some of the voters, who expressed disgust over the situation, wondered why ENSIEC should fix election when they were not ready for the exercise.
Mrs Stella Agbo of Awgu Ward 1, said she came out as early as 8a.m. to cast her vote and once it is 1p.m. she would go home, if there was no improvement.
In the same vein, Mr Kingsley Ogbonna from Ugwuleshi Awgu said he would go home if there was no sign of arrival of materials.
The Collation Officer for Achara Layout, Mr Paschal Obi, however, appealed to voters to exercise patience as ENSIEC was doing its best to remedy the situation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here